ESSA Stockholm: Harriet Backer
She painted women from different social classes, but a common theme is that they are depicted without allegory. The women don’t usually pose and they aren’t meant to be characters from any historical or mythical story. They are simply shown reading, playing the piano, hanging laundry in a windy field, or simply existing in their own world as the figures in their own story. They are often lit with natural lighting coming into their interior spaces through a narrow window, which perhaps is a critique of the limited possibilities of women in domestic settings, and yet they persevere and, through Backer, tell their own stories.
Backer depicted women from a variety of classes from a perspective that few men were willing to understand in a unique style that emphasized both the quality of light and color as well as the reality of her scenes all in accordance with accepted artistic tradition. This combo made her a feminist powerhouse. By taking inspiration from the more radical Impressionists, she made her art unique, and by keeping one foot firmly in academic tradition, she made it difficult to be easily dismissed. This is why she is so beloved among Nordic communities and this is why she had such an exhibit in the Swedish National Museum.
As to her commemoration, it is a little difficult to say if it was done well or not. Part of me wants to say that there was no statue of her, no street named after her, nor any other public memorial to her, so she won’t be kept in the public memory and was commemorated poorly. Another part of me wants to say that she had a wing of her own in the Swedish National Museum, so she’s been commemorated pretty well. Ultimately, the latter wins out, particularly because there were enough examples of her artwork and enough supplemental information about her life that I think the exhibit honored not just her art but her personality as well. It commemorated not just her deeds but her being as well--a good commemoration in my book.



Nice post Tate!! I love that you did an artist. Some of the things that hampered her is that men did not understand or appreciate her style of art. However, what I love about it is that she proved them wrong and the people of Sweden love her artistic style. Learning about her helps us to show that Sweden is so accepting to woman and their artistic style.
ReplyDeleteTate, I like how you chose to write about Harriet Backer. Reading your post about her reminded me of Berthe Morisot, who I wrote about in Paris. They both lived about the same time period and both painted women in domestic settings. I know that Morisot, as a woman, was not allowed in drawing classes so she had to draw scenes from her own life. I’m wondering if Harriet Backer experienced similar obstacles in her life?
ReplyDeleteI loved learning about a new woman I'd never studied! Thanks for sharing the knowledge you gained about Harriet Backer. I think it's so cool that she saw the varying social classes but still saw women of all kinds as worthy of being documented through her art. She stood up against the social pressures of drawing perfect, allegorical women, according to your post. This is an obstacle I regularly run into as I digest modern forms of art and media still.
ReplyDelete